Friday, July 6, 2012

can you wear too much colour?

Everyone loves a good pop of colour in winter, and I encourage you to brighten up your wardrobe in the war against monochrome ensembles. But some people can’t just have a slice of that pie, they’re in it for the guts-ache – taking colour trending to the extreme.

Now I’m all for a bit of matchy matchy. At least once a week my outfit will match my nails, or perhaps I’ll do a little necklace-belt combo to tie things together. But on the streets of Wellington much more sinister themes appear.
The other day I watched in horror as the bus passed a woman wearing head-to-toe red. Red is great, don’t get me wrong, I dig a bit of fire, but a red-skirt red-cardy red-jacket red-stockings red-shoes combo is an affront to my inner stylist. When you look in the mirror and see THE DEVIL looking back at you, you may want to consider taking it back a notch. Or three.
Please note: The same goes for looks such as ‘human blueberry’ Violet Beauregarde (after the chewing gum meal incident), ‘giant turd’ (8.6 couric’s!) in brown, or the Barbie closet-raider in pink.

I would like to think the Oompa Loompas were policing Violet’s distasteful colour blocking as much as her misbehaviour.

Matching separate elements such as bag and belt, lips and shoes, necklace and nails is a nice way to tie in and create a bit of a colour scheme for your outfit. It shows you’ve put some thought into the day’s dress and is a great way to wear your favourite hues. I’m a big fan of purple, but you’re not going to see me out looking like Barney the dinosaur. A little restraint, people!

Colour is fun, bold, and always gets a compliment – but should be worn with subtle respect. You can have too much of a good thing.






1 comment:

  1. Oh. I totes wore too much colour today. The woman in all red sounds like some girl in my lectures back in the day. All red, every single time I saw her.

    ReplyDelete