Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fashion watches

The humble watch. Relic of a time before cell phones. Relegated to the world of redundant technology. Yet curiously making a resurgence… have you noticed?

I was sent on a watch hunt recently. I was buying a gift for a special someone so I spent a lot of time making sure the watch was just right. A nice gift and a nice thing to have, I thought – but who wears a watch these days? I used to own one (curiously, also a gift) but I haven’t worn it in about 10 years – not since the rise of the do-all cell phone, taking care of all our daily needs from timekeeping to entertainment.

So I spent a lot of time thinking about watches and suddenly I noticed them everywhere. Men and women on the bus, on the street, in the office donning watches left right and centre.

Am I making a huge assumption in suggesting the watch ever went away? Or have they been quietly ticking away the time, ever present and sartorially unnoticed by this fashion watcher?

Right or wrong, the watch seems to be a must-have at the moment – and there’s a wonder of options for your wrist.

One thing I do know is this: In the world of digital everything, the analogue watch is king.

Big faces and windows to moving parts remind us that not everything is better in the future. Some inventions really do stand the test of time – and the watch is modern engineering at its best.

Whether or not this marvel of human creation is being worn for form or function is another question. If people are still pulling out their cell phone to check the time, then what they have on their wrist is essentially a fancy and expensive bracelet. The wonders of technology is one thing, the power of marketing is something completely different. What you’ll notice is that watch wearers are not walking around with beaten up G-shocks on their wrists – the modern watch is huge and bling and there to be seen.

Take a look around next trip out into the world and let me know if I’m right. And yes, now I want one. I’ve been thinking about one of the contenders for the gift that didn’t quite make the cut for that person, but would suit me just fine. Now if I can just find someone to buy it for me…

No comments:

Post a Comment