Thursday, February 23, 2012

catch on to cats eyes

A bit late coming, again. Forgive me, I went on holiday and have been seriously distracted by a new job. But you don’t need to know all that do you?
In December before I left I was on the hunt for a new pair of sunnies. I was not dissatisfied with my current pair, although as my collection grows the pairs that I was once so fond of find their way to the dusty bottom of my accessories draw. Of course at that point Ray Bans were still number one and some Le Specs rips offs are still in my handbag, but for weekends, summer vacays, and holiday lazing I needed something with a bit more sparkle.

What I found in December was the tip of the iceberg. This trend is in full swing. It’s retro-specs at their coolest, and you can thank the likes of Kourtney Kardashian and Nicole Richie for sending them towards our shores.

Cats eye glasses are the current epitome of old-school styling, bringing with them an element of both Hollywood glam and 50s geekery. You will find yourself, at least once, pulling them down with one arm and peering over the top for a flirty peek at yourself. It just has to be done.

I had been trying frames all lunch break, thinking I might resort to something larger, just to veer away from my usual path when I found these cats eye frames. Super cute with sparkles at the peaks, highlighting the elegant shape and giving the nod to LA bling. They were so flattering on my face I immediately decided they were the ones, but I think they’re something that work on everyone.

The upward curve mimics both high cheekbones and the current trend for gull-wing eyeliner. So they work with your face rather than hiding it. Stick with the oversized shades if you’ve got something to hide, but cats eyes will work in your favour in a better way, actually creating the illusion of angles if you’re currently lacking.

And if you’re not quite game to go full Kourtney, which I must say she’s taken the concept to the extreme, there are plenty of squarer frames that have the upward top edges you’re looking for without the tear drop inners.

The other thing I love about this style is that they don’t take your eyebrows out of the picture. A few years ago, before my discovery of the eyebrow pencil, Huge frames that hid my light eyebrows would have been a godsend. Now that I have them I realise they are very important to your face. Just look at the high-fashion models that have them bleached white and tell me there’s not something missing from their face. Apart from a healthy layer of fat, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment