Friday, April 22, 2011

Natural beauty

I was given a dumb-struck look and re-questioned today when I told the girl at the Revlon counter that I did not wear foundation. It humoured me somewhat that her next question was whether I used a powder base. I can see how she got there, it’s obviously a part of her full facial routine that comes with the territory, but I couldn’t help but snigger at the obviousness of the fact that if I don’t wear foundation every day I probably do not bother to use a powder. I thought that was only for stage make up? We used a lot of it during dance concerts to stop the sweat from ruining our performance faces, but I have never felt the urge to cake any more on to my face than I need to since.

At first I thought her puzzlement was a compliment – that my skin looked so good it appeared as though I was wearing more than just eye make up – but I soon realised that the concept of a fresh face had been abandoned by this one some time ago.

It’s not that I’m against full-face make up. It just seems like a lot of effort to go to for everyday life. Also, I play sports during the day and I’ve seen girls running around with foundation dripping down their face and it’s not a pretty sight. My skin is quite sensitive, and basically, I can’t be bothered unless it’s a special occasion. I feel that once you’ve got the foundation on you have to go even further, applying blusher and lipstick in order to stop your regular facial features from disappearing into the beige.

There is however, a case for make up. There’s this one girl who hangs out with people I hang out with. I saw her first in a photo on my friend’s facebook and commented on how stunning she was. He replied that she was indeed stunning, but also deceptively larger than she appeared – mostly due to her well-executed application of full make up.

If I’m going to something that I know will have cameras around, I suddenly can be bothered. Unpainted (and especially after a few drinks) my usually pale and clear skin shows up blotchy and flawed on camera. Flash is not my friend. In person, quite a few people have commented on how nice my skin looks, but put it on film (these days on screen, which is even worse) and I look like, well, I look bad. It is not how I want to be portrayed. I spend a lot of time thinking about my appearance and for it to be ruined by my face, of all things – because I tend to think that needs the least “work” – is gutting. Plus it makes me look bad in comparison to someone who is possibly not such a “natural beauty” (humour me) as I am.

So now it has me thinking, should I take this theory into the every day? Is it not just the camera flash highlighting my flaws – do the harsh office lights have the same effect? Should I care? I’m never going to take it as far as my Farmers friend, it’s her job to cake that shit on, but am I letting myself down in the one area where I thought “keeping it natural” was enhancing my appearance.

Is a natural 8 worth more than a made-up 9? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. People always think I am sick if I haven't plastered on the make-up.

    ReplyDelete