Wednesday, October 6, 2010

investment boots

Why is it that when you say the words “investment boots” to a man they snigger as if there is some joke. Maybe they realise that they’ve missed the joke but still laugh in a naive attempt to cover up their lack of knowledge. But investment boots are a real thing, and no laughing matter. Any woman will nod approvingly, giving total justification to your (possibly) irrational spend-up. They know what you’re talking about. They know, because they’ve been there, seen the price tag, laboured over the decision for a day or so, and marched right back into that shop with credit card in hand.

Debris readers, I give you my investment boots. *satisfied smile*

Can you imagine my delight when I saw the style appearing in Vogue’s 2010 September issue. Not only did I get a bargain buying boots just before spring, but their inclusion in America’s fashion bible for the upcoming months mean they style is going to swing back into our winter next year. And I will be waaaay ahead of the pack. Ah satisfaction. And endorsement - from none other than Anna Wintour. I am the cat that got the cream.

I’m presently the cat that got the cream and found it so good it went right back to its day-old biscuits. These boots are so wonderful, so pristine and leathery-smelling that I’ve only brought myself to wear them four or five times. Of course now, the days are getting longer and hotter, and I can relax in the knowledge that my boots are waiting for me. Looking lovely, garnering jealousy from visitors I invite to gaze upon them. I have them. They are mine.

The look is something a bit different. I took some informants with me on the second viewing and the response from them was not what I had expected. Not the response you want when you’re about to spend over $400 on something. They weren’t so sure. Were they right for me, would they make my ankles look fat, wasn’t there something else I liked? I took in their words like a dagger through the heart. Maybe I wasn’t going to walk out of the store with my precious after all?

Fortunately, I came to my senses and bought them. It didn’t matter what the people said. I was in love. And the boots weren’t for anyone else. They were for me. And they are so me! (Something we will discuss in the not-so-distant future.)

It’s a hard thing, finding boots. I went to Melbourne with the distinct goal of buying some and I failed. I did buy some brown leather boots as planned, but they weren’t the right ones. I’d come to the end of my shopping tether and was damned if I was going to leave without buying brown leather boots in some shape or form. And my stubbornness saw them pawned off on Trade Me for much less than I paid for them – and therein lies the fail.

The other problem was the boots that they were meant to replace. I love these boots. They had served me well for two and a half years. How could I even think about replacing such loyal friends? And why can’t shoe stores just stock the same boots for a few years running? Or sell them in two packs for the forward-thinking shopper.

Unfortunately it had to be done. But the result was amazing. A True Investment. No sniggers allowed - Anna Wintour will not allow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment