Monday, August 23, 2010

star power

If you’re anything like me, you love and follow celebrities in a kind of satirical but secretly devoted way. Like, I know it’s shameful to know so much about who’s who, wearing who and doing who, when I could be spending my spare time learning things which are useful, but in my spare time I don’t really want to learn anything; I just want to be entertained.

As a bit of a tangent, I came home the other day to someone watching a documentary about how carpet is made. Now I’m all for carpet, don’t get me wrong, I’m all over that shit; but do I care how the yarn is processed? Do I care that someone goes through each carpet looking for defects and marking it with yellow string? No. But now that I know that little fact, a little piece of celebrity knowledge slipped out my brain. I spend all day reading about engineering and technology. I guess not everyone has jobs where they learn new stuff every day, but I do, and I don’t want to come home to hear about the life of yarn. I want to give my brain a rest. I certainly don’t want to be judged for it.

Back on track. If you are like me and like to read gossip columns and know that Perez Hilton is not a girl, how much of an effect does it have on your life?

As much as we know and love stars, would you buy something just because it was endorsed by a famous face? Not even that, all they have to do is put their name to something; person becomes brand.

When it comes to fashion, particularly in New Zealand – because we don’t have any worthy stars – celebrity branding might get you in the door so to speak, but if the product doesn’t actually suit you, surely you’re not going to buy it. How can you trust a far away person in a far away land to create just the right clothing for you?

I talk about trust because there are two types of celebrity brands. There’s the Lindsay Lohan “I’ll-put-my-name-on-it-you-do-the-work” type deal, where both sides are mutually whoring off eachother to bring in an extra few bucks. Then you have people like Victoria Beckham, who actually has talent, is incredibly chic and savvy and knows her way around the fashion world. I think people often forget that before she was slamming her body down and winding it all around as a Spice Girl, Victoria was a successful model. Her clothes look amazing and perfectly tailored and she wears them herself – a great endorsement to any designer so lucky to make it into her wardrobe.

I’d wear almost anything VB made or wore. With someone like Lindsay, I’d be worried that she’d pre-worn most of the samples and inadvertently peed her pants in it after consecutive hard-partying nights out.

And what about all the inbetweeners? Is anyone rushing out to buy celebrity-endorsed perfume? Anyone ever bought L.A.M.B shoes? (I would if I had more need for non-sport-related sneakers, because Gwen Stefani rules.) Have you ever given a certain make-up a second glance because the latest it girl is fronting their campaign – or do you just head for the tried and true?

I think it’s one thing to know what or who a “Snooki” is, but if she starts making clothes or perfume, you’d be hard pressed to find one person who wants to claim that as their fashion inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment